Re: [OM] IMG: Praying Mantis Baby--now Monarchs

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Praying Mantis Baby--now Monarchs
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 15:16:13 -0500
> GMO crops have been modified so much stronger applications of Roundup can
> be used.  That's the difference.

We're doing a whole lot more "no till" farming here in Iowa. Also some
variations on it where they use a T-ripper of some form that reaches
down in the ground and breaks up the soil compaction from below, but
doesn't loosen the top soil. But the problem with no till is the
increased need of chemicals to counteract the weeds. At some point it
is supposed to help with how much chemical you dump on the ground, but
for many producers, it isn't turning out that way. It takes a
half-dozen years to fully convert a field over to no-till and it can
be pretty brutal getting to that point.

As the landmass of Iowa is something like 88% in agricultural
production, with two-thirds of that in corn/beans, I would suggest
that seeing ANY Monarchs here is not very likely. I think they've
learned to avoid this chemical soup of monoculture farming.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx