[OM] IMG: Praying Mantis Baby--now Monarchs

Subject: [OM] IMG: Praying Mantis Baby--now Monarchs
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 15:21:13 -0400 (EDT)
We have a whole field full of milkweed and were astonished that a
friend
ordered and paid for some to plant in her yard! We have seen very,
very
few Monarchs for the last couple of years, though :-(

Don't expect much improvment this year either. Many factors involved but Roundup ready crops with almost no milkweed isn't helping . Plant some Milkweed out there. I picked a variant that I especially liked the flowers, violating the chief gardener's rule at Woodland Mead of
"Avoid anything with weed in its name"

Willl go out again a few times for annual B'fly counts with the MA chapter of NABA (No Am B'fly Assoc) but Monarch counts last year were
waaay off and don't expect many this year.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140319114608.htm

Monarch monitor Mike