Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** Re: IMG: WAS Nathan's PAW 22: NOW CLI

Subject: Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** Re: IMG: WAS Nathan's PAW 22: NOW CLICK CLACK
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 21:02:36 -0500
> This looks a lot like what I've seen a great deal of out here in the US far
> west, concrete ties on crushed rock road bed.

A couple years ago I read the pros/cons of that and for most
locations, wood is still preferable and it's supposed to be easier on
the rolling stock.

> I was a bit confused when earlier posts seemed to only consider wood on rock
> or concrete on concrete. Then again, I wasn't paying much attention, as
> railroads don't much interest me.

High-speed rail requires the concrete-on-concrete system for
stability. Most light-rail is able to use this method too. There is a
cushion of some form between the rail ties and the concrete base.

> Every time we think a rail trip would be fun, we look at Amtrak prices,
> schedules and rider reviews, we end up going a different way, and can't
> figure out why anyone rides it.

This past year, it only worked for me because it was almost a perfect
"red-eye" schedule and the train station was only a mile from home.

I preferred to drive, whenever I could.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx