Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** Re: IMG: WAS Nathan's PAW 22: NOW CLI

Subject: Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** Re: IMG: WAS Nathan's PAW 22: NOW CLICK CLACK
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 14:01:52 -0500
> 432 meters is just about one quarter of a mile. Yes, American rail is welded
> in 1/4 mile lengths. And it gets transported with a string of flat cars with
> "fingers" to hold the rails. Just like the photo in the link you sent.

Duh, of course... Brain went dead on that. I see rail on mainlines get
replaced like this. Slick as snot. Even more slick is the tie
replacement machine. Brilliant!

> In addition, there are pre-manufactured rail panels (like giant HO track).
> These are no more and 50 to 60 feet long. They get transported sideways on
> the long side, stacked in standard gondola cars.

I've been seeing mostly this, lately. Don't know why, but nearly
everything in the past year has been this method.

The rail grinder is in town this week, working areas near here. Now
this is a fascinating bit of engineering. As we're along a major BNSF
trunk, the maintenance window is pretty narrow.

AG