Re: [OM] OT 100 years of Leica cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] OT 100 years of Leica cameras
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 21:12:07 -0700
On 5/25/2014 11:42 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
Perhaps, Joel, although I discontinued frequent snorting some while ago, on
grounds of health ;-)

I think that Moose is agin any sort of rangefinder photographic device.  He probably
doesn’t like my Fuji cameras.

My objections are not to the rangefinder form factor, nor to a finder on the top left of a 'hump-less' camera body. I have never liked two aspects of true, mechanical rangefinder cameras. This is strictly personal functional preference, not some generic or theoretical prejudice. I'm more than happy for others to like and use them.

1. The mechanical rangefinder itself. I just don't like the overlapping images thing. I put up with it for years in the XA, as there was no alternative for the purpose that wasn't worse, but never liked that aspect.

2. From the beginning, I've always noticed small vignettes within the broad visual field, and thus macro and tele, two things at which RFs are impossible, or at least impossibly kludgy, compared to (D)SLRs, and now mirrorless. Over the years, I've learned to appreciate and enjoy taking other subjects, but only in addition to my old preferences. If one can't take images of what one notices and admires in the world, what would be the point?*

Neither of those apply to the Fuji MILCs

One of my favorite cameras, the GX7, has an RF form factor. I go absolutely seamlessly from EVF on top left to EVF in a prism-like hump to a tilted LCD, for under/over shots.

Had Fuji come up with their mirrorless line before I was deep into µ4/3, I might well have gone that way. I certainly liked my earlier Fuji compacts. Although the appreciation of being at least partly back in the Oly fold is a small factor.

As I really like, and use, a very wide range of focal lengths and good macro, a switch from my rather extensive µ4/3 lens and body collection to Fuji would be quite expensive. Whether they are indeed superior, I don't know. Whether they are superior enough, for my purposes, seems unlikely. Mike J of TOP was just enthusing yesterday about the amazing 17x22" prints of Ctein's he had just seen. I don't think the 4/3 sensor size really limits me.

It seems to me, from your posts, that you use a limited number of lenses and focal lengths, which makes relatively frequent changes of cameras/systems far more practical for you than for me. Be assured, this is no criticism, just recognition of a difference in personal preferences. In fact, it sounds like fun to try out new stuff. :-)

Or maybe I'm just a stick in the mud. ;-) Nikon F before OM, OM for 30 years, Canon for 8 years and now µ4/3 for a couple of years, so far.

It's also my impression that the Fujis are somewhat larger and heavier than the µ4/3 gear? I certainly am enjoying my small. light kit and having a camera as diminutive as the GM1 for carry everywhere use that's also compatible with the other gear.

I find that image stabilisation helps me with grab shots; for many others thinking
“steady” helps quite a lot.  Oh, and not having a mirror is another aid to
sharper shots at lower speeds, of course.

I have both of those, and quite appreciate them, in my gear, along with
excellent AF.

R. F. Less Moose

*Absent job requirements. Yesterday, I met and spent some pleasant time with a NYT photojournalist, who is off tomorrow to do a fracking story. He said one of the things he's enjoyed in recent years is a lot of environment stories, which take him to places where he can do the landscapes he loves to do for himself.

Who knew that the Times had such a big bureau in SF, and that an old pro could step back from photo assignment editor in NY to photog based in SF? Sweet. NYC, nice to visit, but I'd hate to live there.