Re: [OM] ReBoot [was Long lens multi-thread III, IBIS

Subject: Re: [OM] ReBoot [was Long lens multi-thread III, IBIS
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 10:01:13 -0500
On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 7:40 AM, Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <
fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry, I forgot to pose my main doubt, and apologize if this topic has
> already been discussed.
>
> When using FocusMagic, and fixing out-of-focus blur on slides which
> were carefully focused; well, is it that I'm fixing OOF introduced by
> the Coolscan 4000ED Auto-Focus itself?
> Do the LED beams need deconvolution as well !?

It is my understanding that any digital capture (and a scan is simply a
digital capture of a real analog photograph) has soft edges.  If one
scanner seems better than another, all other things being equal, it is
probably because that scanner is applying some sharpening after the raw
file has been captured and is rendered for your viewing.

Back when I was scanning a lot of film, most people seemed to be unaware of
the need for sharpening as a normal step of the process.  Some people were
in fact hostile about it.  A friendly photographer passed me some
sharpening settings in PS unsharp mask that he said made his prints from
scanned 35mm film look like medium format.  They did look very good at a
time when inkjet prints often looked better than what was showing up on the
monitor.

If you are using Vuescan, the "TIFF Size Reduction" under the Output tab
creates a smaller file size and has the added effect of improving edge
sharpness a little bit without introducing artifacts and noise.  Try 2 or
even 3 to see the effect.

Joel W.