Re: [OM] [IMGs] Long lens multi-thread IV, IQ

Subject: Re: [OM] [IMGs] Long lens multi-thread IV, IQ
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 22:09:42 -0700
I think I should be clear about how I evaluate lens IQ.

In the old days, we shot a highly detailed subject with fine grain film, using
a tripod, and that was pretty much that.

Now, cameras are correcting for linear distortion and CA. And the major review sites seem to be buying into the idea that what comes out is from the lens, rather than optics plus processing.

How long before cameras are applying custom deconvolution? Is it a bad thing if optical compromises are changed to allow firm/software to correct those things they can, and optics changed to better correct the rest?

Just as I mentioned* about sensor system IQ, I'm interested in how the image looks after processing, or how well the images get along with my software. They aren't all necessarily the same.

For example, the lens in the Canon S100 and Focus Magic seem made for each other. FM works rather well with the other compact cameras I've used, but nothing like with the S100. So, should I be evaluating that lens on it's own, or as the better one I actually use?

So, when I say the 75-300 @ 300 mm is quite good, I suppose I'm really saying it's that after post processing. It captures a pretty decent image directly, which includes the data to improve it. Thus, I've included pre FM (but post NR) samples in the first fern set of images.

Post Moose

* Example(s) coming soon, Joel and Chuck, I think.