Re: [OM] Bluebird

Subject: Re: [OM] Bluebird
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 15:31:12 -0700
On 5/18/2014 8:23 AM, Thru the Window Paul in Portland OR wrote:
I don't have much problem with focus on shots through the window.

I didn't say that it WAS affecting focus, only that it was something to check.
The problem may well be elsewhere.

It strikes me now that one advantage of focusing on recent µ4/3 cameras is the ability to really zero in on a small area. On my DSLRs, it was far more often necessary to move the frame around a bit and activate AF repeatedly to get the desired area in focus. I imagine that would be a real problem for folks without good visual acuity.

E-M1, P5, PL5 and PM2 all have a smaller AF area than prior Pens and, I imagine, the E-thingies. The same thing has been brought to the E-M5 in a firmware update, although without the AF box being smaller. The Panny GX7, GM1 (and???) have a "Pinpoint" AF mode, in which they focus on a tiny area, then briefly bring up a central magnified view, and MF fine tuning is possible if necessary.

I have found that keeping the reflections down and the window relatively clean
helps a lot. VBG
On the Bluebird shot, Focus Magic, and ACR for shadows/highlights,and a bit of clarity and vibrance seems to help a lot. Would be even more so with the original image.

All true, and yet ... I've looked at my own images taken through clean, single pane (old, relatively thick) glass and those of the same place, similar subjects, without glass, and those without glass are clearer/cleaner/more detailed.

Assuming Joel and you are likely shooting through double glazing, that would be
four glass/air transitions, not two.

I enjoy your bird shots, and almost all of them look quite good at web size. OTOH, there is little visible detail of feathers, etc. and various artifacts, at larger sizes. How much of that is shooting through a window, noise on a tiny sensor, processing, etc. I don't know.

No Barriers Moose