Re: [OM] E-M1 shutter shock, was: A major issue with EP-5 largely correc

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M1 shutter shock, was: A major issue with EP-5 largely corrected with EFC option via firmware update
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 16:01:51 -0700
Have I missed some important stuff on taming shutter shock with the E-M1?

All this thread, to date, is about the E=P5. There is no comparable firmware
update to add EFC to the E-M1 as yet.

There is ample evidence for modest shutter shock (SS) on the EM-1 but as AG says it is ameliorated by the larger mass--especially compared to the quite prominant SS on the EP-5.

DPR reports that all µ4/3 camera bodies until the GM1 use the same Copal shutter mechanism. So they are all subject to the same vibration. A larger, heavier body and lens will tend to absorb more of it without trouble. Notice how in love with the big, heavy 12-40/2.8 lens the DPR reviewers were.

The anti vib delay apparently works but the new firmware with EFC is more elegant and almost no effect on shutter responsiveness.

I've seldom had a problem with the 1/8 sec. delay, but it does make framing shots of moving things trickier than it need be. One may, of course, turn it off for faster shutter speeds, rather easy on the touch screen.

OTOH, back before I knew about SS, I got a fair number of long tele shots at speeds more like 1/320+ with obvious double images, so the up to 1/160 trouble area reported widely may not apply to longer focal lengths.

Firm Wear Moose