Re: [OM] Qualifications was Mail Delivery

Subject: Re: [OM] Qualifications was Mail Delivery
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 20:48:31 +0930
On Fri, May 09, 2014 at 08:48:48AM +1000, Andrew Fildes wrote:
<snip>
> the institution is run as a University and he does not have a doctorate
> so he under constant pressure to complete an utterly irrelevant
> qualification because the conventional hierarchy and career path demands
> it. He'd rather be spending his time doing something useful instead. But
> he's had to comply and has undertaken a research project which we both
> agree is a load of bollocks. To keep his Dean happy.

It's on ongoing problem as more organisations insist on paper
certifications* to fill roles as a substitute for proper
interviewing/testing.

When I was initially employed (in what was a 25 person locally owned
business)  my recent experience  was what was important.  I'd been the
'road' technician for a large Australian amusement machine vendor (not
pokies!). The fact that I was into 'embedded systems' (microcontrollers)
as a hobby, and my (rather simple) serial-programmed EPROM emulator that
was my TAFE design project seemed to impress the interview panel of
technical people. My recently minted associate diploma was not quite so
highly regarded. I was brought on as a 'senior customer engineer' - a
"level 3" position.

Many years later (after the business was taken over by another (much
larger and very corporate) company, experience and skillsets are less
important - as the squarefiller/boxticker MBA-types believe that these
attributes can be easily acquired by simply sending people to a training
seminar. I have picked up relevant industry certifications**
(Cisco/Sun/Sophos) along the way, but now because the Senior Systems
Engineer role states that it is for someone with a degree - it's only a
matter of time before my pay and conditions fall to that of the "level 2
resource"...

* I'm not against tertiary education, my children have both been
encouraged to take the high(er education) road!. Using it as a yes/no
selector in some occupations is just plain silly.

**don't get me started on the 'real value' of 'industry certifications'.
Two words: Test King  :)

davidt