Re: [OM] Just for a moment . . .

Subject: Re: [OM] Just for a moment . . .
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 09:36:27 -0500
>      A get a good chuckle when I'm out cycling and see people dressed up in
> bright clothing, helmets, and those dark wrap-around sunglasses, riding
> expensive racing bicycles which will never be used in serious competition.

AKA, Posers.

Back in Michigan, I used to ride with this one guy that would always
show up in one of the most hideous garbs you've ever seen. This was
when lycra was queen (err, king), and the brighter the better in
colors. He'd show up looking like he just got off the farm and his
bike looked like it was held together with duct tape and baling wire.

However, he was a retired professional racer and had competed in the
European elite circuits about 15 years before.

The bike looked like a piece of garbage, but upon close inspection,
you could see that it was literally the very best in everything and it
came in about five pounds lighter than anything else we had amongst
us. His clothes looked ratty, but were actually custom made and he was
a partner in a company that made specialty clothes for skate-boarders
and BMXers.

Of course, it took about five seconds of riding with him before we
realized that we were had. I could cruise along at 25-27 mph on a good
day, but that was warm-up pace for him.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx