Re: [OM] Just for a moment . . .

Subject: Re: [OM] Just for a moment . . .
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 08:56:28 -0500
On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 8:41 AM, Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> > . . . I thought that the new Leica was going to be priced for normal
> people.  But the little lump of
> >aluminium and its kit zoom will cost GBP2600, the no-doubt-unique 23/2
> another GBP1350.
> >

>      Depends on what you mean by "normal" people.  I always considered
> Leicaholics to be wealthy and esoteric, spending large sums of money for
> expensive equipment for which they lack sufficient experience to appreciate
> and use fully.  Similar to people who buy Humvees just go from home to the
> grocery store and back, impressing other such people along the way.

Exactly.  A Hummer with the full polished chrome brush-bar package and
off-road rally lighting package.  The furthest off-road they ever go is if
they happen to miss the edge of their driveway.

>      Before my comment results in a heated debate, let me add that there
> are people who do in fact make full use of the quality and features of
> Leica and other well-made camera equipment.  I just get tired of those who
> buy such things to impress each other and barely know how to use a simple
> point-and-shoot.

Agreed. Our own Tina is one who actually USES her Leicas as tools, instead
of a fashion accessory.

>      A get a good chuckle when I'm out cycling and see people dressed up
> in bright clothing, helmets, and those dark wrap-around sunglasses, riding
> expensive racing bicycles which will never be used in serious competition.

A guy I know tried to convince me once that the only bike worth owning was
a titanium-framed custom jobbie for $4k.  I explained that my Schwinn
mountain/road bike that I picked up at a yard sale for $45 gets me where I
need to go just fine.

Kinda fits into the same category as high-priced attorneys and doctors who
go out and buy the most expensive Harley they can find so they can "live
the biker life" on weekends.
--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie