Re: [OM] OT: Sony Sucks, big time

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Sony Sucks, big time
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 11:20:24 -0400
ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bad luck, Nathan.  I must confess a similar antipathy to Sony goods; however,
> I have no rational basis for this feeling.

There is a rational basis. The company engaged in what to me seems
obviously criminal intrusion on customers' computers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

The most charitable interpretation would be that they overreached the
bounds of reason in copy protection. Even that does excuse other
things they did, including lying about it their system and, ironically,
violating copyright on some open source software in building it.

Sony does have some fine products and I have owned some,
but I have not seriously considered buying any of the new ones
since that scandal.

Bringing it back to cameras, that means if my next camera is
full-frame it will not be an Alpha and if it is small-sensor it will
not be a NEX, even though both those product lines are in
some ways quite attractive.