Re: [OM] Now THIS is news!

Subject: Re: [OM] Now THIS is news!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 15:53:52 -0700
On 3/31/2014 8:48 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
>> Firmware update to the E-M1 provides electronic first curtain!!!!!!
>>
>> Let the festivities begin.
>>
>       Oooh!  That IS good news.  Slowly they will relearn what made good
> cameras good.
>
>       Now I have a question that reverts back to the E-510 that I'm now
> getting familiar with.  When you choose "live view", does this raise the
> mirror and reduce the major source of vibration when releasing the shutter?

I don't recall the E-510 ever having reports of shutter vibration. In any case,
it will be no better using live view.

When you push the shutter button:

1. Curtain closes.
2. Mirror goes down.
3. AF, if set on, which requires the mirror to be down..
4. Mirror goes up.
6. First curtain opens.
7. Exposure.
8. Second curtain closes.
7. Live view returns.

With AF on in good light, short shutter speed, this takes about two seconds.

Simple AF in LV also requires a mirror cycle

More here. <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse510/7>

Live View on DSLRs is useful, but clumsy. Infinitely better on ILCs

Viewed Live Moose