Re: [OM] Chuck's pictures from the Third Annual Florida Zuikofest

Subject: Re: [OM] Chuck's pictures from the Third Annual Florida Zuikofest
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 09:18:10 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I am truly not a macro guy.  I've owned those tubes for about 6 months
>or more.  This was the first time I've ever used them.  I get extremely
>frustrated when the only way to change the focus distance is to crawl on
>my belly 6" forward or back.  :-)  But Dean manages to defeat some of
>those problems by using his 100(?)-300 Tamron zoom mounted on the Oly
>Telescopic auto tube

     Almost half of my wildflower photos are macros, and I use a variety of
techniques.  Macro-focusing lenses are convenient, but I much prefer to use a
Vivitar macro-focusing teleconverter for greater flexibility.  Alternatives are
extension tubes or closeup auxiliary lenses, depending on the desired DOF and
available light.

     Using my old Vivitar TX 75-260/4.5 with a short (13mm) extension tube will
usually allow me to make a decent macro from 1m distance with very good DOF and
fast shutter speed.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson