Re: [OM] [OT] Wifi woes

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Wifi woes
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 08:56:05 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>To the collective brains on this list: can you shed some light on this?
>
>I have a problem with a PC (running Vista - ugh) that can connect to
>the wifi router and thence to the internet in my house, but in another
>house it connects to the router but there is no onward internet
>connection.
>All other devices (phones, tablets etc) can connect fine in both
>places.  Both routers are running WPA2-PSK security.  The wifi adaptor
>has the latest driver installed.
>And it's a fresh install of Vista (and all SPs and updates) because we
>started from a very sluggish clogged-up laptop (a few years past its
>best) - although previously it was connecting to the internet ok!
>
>My first thought was a DNS issue but manually setting DNS addresses
>doesn't help.
>
>Any other brainwaves please?

     I recently had the exact same problem, and it was due entirely to a 19th
CenturyLink (19CL) WiFi hub.  19CL had set it up with two out of four handshake
protocols shut off, both of which were for older wireless adapter chipsets such
as the Intel BG2200.  I bought an after market USB 802.11n wireless adapter and
everything worked fine, until 19CL remotely reprogrammed the WiFi hub to block
older operating systems and browsers.

     Be careful where you buy those wireless adapters.  I bought one on eBay
from China and it was bogus.  Found the same item for less $$ at Fry's.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson