Re: [OM] [OT] In case you hadn't heard....

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] In case you hadn't heard....
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 10:46:09 -0400
But you forget that, as the UK is finally beginning to realize, the wind
doesn't always blow and even when it does the claimed efficiencies are
not realized.  Since there is no battery technology to store what's
produced when the wind does blow they all have to be backed up by
conventional power stations.

According to the DOE, Iowa wind farms produced 27.4% of the state's
electrical capacity in 2013... a far cry from being able to supply half
the country.  Unlike the UK which fails to meet the claimed 33%
production from installed capacity, Iowa very slightly exceeds it. When
you figure out how to get rid of all the backup conventional generating
capacity you'll have something.  Meantime you've just managed to
increase the cost and (some would say) blight the land.

Chuck Norcutt