Re: [OM] [OT] In case you hadn't heard....

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] In case you hadn't heard....
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 00:11:24 -0700
On 3/22/2014 11:54 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
> I don't hear many voices against nuclear now, except perhaps those who worry
> about the Fukushima problem (the flooding risk could surely be protected
> against).

A simple, and amazingly serious, mistake by the designers. Had they put the
back-up generators on the higher ground
behind the reactor buildings, instead of at the base of the seawall, where they
were immediately be swamped by water
coming over the wall, they would have prevented the disaster.

The basic design was apparently sound, with back-up power to keep the cooling
water flowing and operate the damping rods
for a safe shutdown. Unfortunately, no one put on their "what if" hat to
imagine possible disaster scenarios.

Power Moose