Re: [OM] Paul's dragstrip shot

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul's dragstrip shot
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 09:24:57 -0500
On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 6:45 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> An idea I was stewing on last night:
>
> Uh-oh.

> Repeat the shot from the same location, but possibly at a higher
> elevation so the guy is entirely below the horizon. Have him hold a
> ratty old starter flag. On either side of the camera position, set low
> to the ground are two yellow gel'd flashes. Or use the headlights of a
> couple of cars. The lighting would imply cars even if no cars are
> seen. Sunset sky behind. The flashes or headlights will illuminate him
> as well as the shield.
>
> I can get a friend to come with me so we'd have two cars.  I'd have to gel
my lights since Zeke has those really really white xenon lights surrounded
by white LED's.  But I should be able to grab a couple of light amber gels
from the theatre and just use a couple tiny pieces of gaffer's tape to hold
them on.

I can probably fake a flag, but that wouldn't really be accurate. US30 was
a professional, AHRA-sanctioned track and had an electric Christmas tree at
least as far back as the 60's.  I have never seen a photo with a flag start.

Repeat the shot over a period of 30 minutes. The balance of the
> artificial lighting and the sunset sky and background will change. It
> would be hard to guess ahead of time which will end up being the
> favorite.

I could repeat every 5 minutes or so, and bracket the hell out of each
shot.  That would also allow me to experiment with HDR at the same time.

Garry is a nice guy, and if I promise him a print, I'm sure he'll be game.
He said his girlfriend wanted to come out and take some photos of the track
as well, and was asking questions about how I was doing things.  Perhaps a
little knowledge share with the girlfriend would also help grease the
wheels of cooperation.

The ghost taillights would be tricky, and probably unsafe since with no
headlights after dark, it would be easy to get into trouble in a big hurry,
especially in the left lane.
--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie