Re: [OM] In case you hadn't heard....

Subject: Re: [OM] In case you hadn't heard....
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 09:49:46 -0500
> I think I'll choose our silly hodgepodge over 25% VAT.

Yes, but they get the world's best free healthcare for that. They have
the best and perfectly safe roads (none of those pesky exposed columns
that kill princesses in), and get to drive around in massive luxury
vehicles because of the wide roads, tax free fuel and so forth.

VAT is a regressive tax on the poor and working people. The rich tend
to not buy very much (as a percentage of their wealth), so the rich
keep getting richer and the poor and working slobs keep getting
further and further behind.

The other cool thing about a VAT is that it's so easy to keep tacking
on a percent once in a while and people don't seem to notice. VAT
started at 15% or something like that. In another ten years, the VAT
will be up to 40%.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx