Re: [OM] (OM) A miniature Zuikoholic meeting

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) A miniature Zuikoholic meeting
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 11:09:54 -0400
Both. I sold one print in January. Nothing in February, and nothing so far in
March.

That really doesn’t say anything, though. The shop where I sell specializes in
Maine stuff, and the owner is very strict about Maine themes. It’s not enough
that the artist is a Mainer, the subject must be related to Maine as well. I do
have one paper print from Scotland in a bin there, but it’s from the Firth of
Lorn, and is mostly fog in the background and a two-master with red sails on
the water. It could be from the Western Way up by Mt. Desert.

Which is to say, most of the population in residence is local, and they’re not
overly interested in lighthouses, lupines and lobster boats. Those who are
already have my work hanging in their homes, so there’s not a huge local
market. I’m hoping the Scotland stuff will drag them in for a peek, and perhaps
loosen some wallets if they are sufficiently interested.

It has seemed to me that conventional prints, framed under glass, etc., have
lost some of their appeal in the past year or two. Metal seems to be in, but
that may be a fad. Way, way too soon to tell.

We won’t have any real indication here on how things are until late May or
June, if then. Our rehab centers are full of artists who have tried to figure
out the market.

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal