Re: [OM] In case you hadn't heard....

Subject: Re: [OM] In case you hadn't heard....
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 13:47:07 -0700
On 3/14/2014 1:29 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> Besides being the world premier online photo retailer, B&H is also the
>> world's greatest brick-and-mortar photo equipment store. They have truly
>> mastered the best of both world. They are a must-stop for me when I am in
>> NYC.
> I never had the privaledge of going in the store. But it is a
> "landmark" in NYC right up there with the Empire State Building and
> the Statue of Liberty.
>
> I've got an old Popular or Modern Photography buried in my storage
> boxes from the late '70s or early '80s which actually did a feature
> story on B&H and published a "map" of of the interior so you could
> visit and find the right counter or section to go to.

That has changed, anyway, no undirected wandering.

> I've bought more than my fair share of stuff from B&H and will
> continue to do so. They've always done me well.

Their % of my photo, audio, computer, etc. buying is up now. Amazon started
collecting Calif. sales tax, while B&H and a
few others do not.

If their prices were always competitive with Amazon and they had faster
free/low price shipping to the West Coast, I'd
buy even more from them. As it is, I do a little dance of calculation of price,
tax, shipping, B&H 'points' and Amazon
VISA 3% cash rebates.

With all their vast experience and options, they don't seem to have figured out
how to stick small items in an envelope
and drop them in the mail. Instead, they stick them in an almost empty box and
ship them free by stage coach. (Gotta pay
attention to the shipping. A couple of spare batteries from Amazon I chose
based on user reviews came by sea from China.
Quicker than estimated by at least a week, but slowish.)

Then, my recent new camera buy was from Hong Kong, and came in three days ...

Buy Right Moose