Re: [OM] Art buy

Subject: Re: [OM] Art buy
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 09:52:54 -0600
On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It was one of those moments of weakness. Rare that I can actually pull
> it off, but I'm so glad I did.
>
> (snippity doo-dah)

> I was drawn to several pieces and asked about them. I liked the
> paintings. Unbelievably, the price was only $25. I looked in my wallet
> and had a 20 and a 5. Bought one on the spot.
>
> It was one of those moments of breakthrough for him. He later told me
> that I was the very first non-family person to buy one of his
> artworks. Lots of people ask about them, but nobody every parted the
> wallet to buy one. I think he was about to get emotional.
>
> Very cool.

> So, I now have a new original painting to hang somewhere in the house.
> We'll have to negotiate just where. It's 16x20" and has all sorts of
> thing like flower and spices in it. He mixed spices into the paint to
> get the colors. I'm not sure about the longevity, but I think it will
> do fine.

We have had plenty of "moments of weakness" in the past years, which is one
of the reasons we stay away from art galleries and art fairs now,  If we
wanted to display everything we've bought, we'd need to buy the condo next
door and punch a hole through the wall and turn it into a gallery.  This is
also one of the reasons why our retirement fund is mostly in tubes and flat
storage, plus sculptures and glasswork on shelves around our house.
--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie