Re: [OM] Art buy

Subject: Re: [OM] Art buy
From: Don Holbrook <donholbrook@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 23:08:37 +0000 (UTC)
Sometimes the stars just align.

----- Original Message -----From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>To: Olympus
Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 22:58:41
-0000 (UTC)Subject: [OM] Art buy

It was one of those moments of weakness. Rare that I can actually pullit off,
but I'm so glad I did.

Our church is getting new signage and I went with the church memberinvolved in
this project over to the sign shop to finalize the design.I had never been in
this shop before and never met the guy. But ourchurch board member, was a
business owner who had used him for hersigns.

So, what we have here is a guy in his mid 20s, married, father of asmall child.
Running a business in a market with poor margins and lotsof competition. We
immediately hit it off and it took us only aboutfive minutes to get to our
final version.

I'm looking around the shop and I see tons of artwork hangingeverywhere. All of
it contemporary, original and much of it withvarious forms of mixed media. It
was all his work. Some of it wasphotography, some of it was paintings. A sign
said that it was forsale.

I was drawn to several pieces and asked about them. I liked thepaintings.
Unbelievably, the price was only $25. I looked in my walletand had a 20 and a
5. Bought one on the spot.

It was one of those moments of breakthrough for him. He later told methat I was
the very first non-family person to buy one of hisartworks. Lots of people ask
about them, but nobody every parted thewallet to buy one. I think he was about
to get emotional.

So, I now have a new original painting to hang somewhere in the house.We'll
have to negotiate just where. It's 16x20" and has all sorts ofthing like flower
and spices in it. He mixed spices into the paint toget the colors. I'm not sure
about the longevity, but I think it willdo fine.

-- Ken Nortonken@zone-10.comhttp://www.zone-10.com--