[OM] Art buy

Subject: [OM] Art buy
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 16:58:41 -0600
It was one of those moments of weakness. Rare that I can actually pull
it off, but I'm so glad I did.

Our church is getting new signage and I went with the church member
involved in this project over to the sign shop to finalize the design.
I had never been in this shop before and never met the guy. But our
church board member, was a business owner who had used him for her
signs.

So, what we have here is a guy in his mid 20s, married, father of a
small child. Running a business in a market with poor margins and lots
of competition. We immediately hit it off and it took us only about
five minutes to get to our final version.

I'm looking around the shop and I see tons of artwork hanging
everywhere. All of it contemporary, original and much of it with
various forms of mixed media. It was all his work. Some of it was
photography, some of it was paintings. A sign said that it was for
sale.

I was drawn to several pieces and asked about them. I liked the
paintings. Unbelievably, the price was only $25. I looked in my wallet
and had a 20 and a 5. Bought one on the spot.

It was one of those moments of breakthrough for him. He later told me
that I was the very first non-family person to buy one of his
artworks. Lots of people ask about them, but nobody every parted the
wallet to buy one. I think he was about to get emotional.

So, I now have a new original painting to hang somewhere in the house.
We'll have to negotiate just where. It's 16x20" and has all sorts of
thing like flower and spices in it. He mixed spices into the paint to
get the colors. I'm not sure about the longevity, but I think it will
do fine.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx