Re: [OM] IMG: Welcome to Jordan!

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Welcome to Jordan!
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 20:53:08 +1100
Don't remember quite doing that - in fact I seem to remember trying to avoid it
and I can't find the bucket of tar anyway - must have left it in the bottom
shed so the geese get to keep their feathers. But the comment about atheists
was inspired by recent coverage of attitudes in the US (and I'm reading Dawkins
at present too) that suggests that they're the only remaining acceptable target
of discrimination.
The religiosity of the US is both obvious and a little puzzling at times from
out here. As I've been known to comment, even The Simpsons go to church. But
then, of course, we're all decadent Europeans, hey?
So consider - you've just elected a black president and came close to electing
a woman - but what is the chance of someone who is openly non-religious being
elected any time soon? Not holding my breath down here. Perhaps you should try
passing as an atheist or agnostic for a while and seeing what you experience in
that cloak?
As to the monolith of fools (nice term!) - I'm well aware of the internally
rich diversity of culture, attitude, behaviour, etc. but from out here again,
the experience IS of a monolith with an approach reminiscent of the Borg and a
mindset to match. To get some idea why read this - it is my local community -
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/28/world/asia/irpt-australia-mcdonalds-protest/
Of course the one thing they get wrong is that they call it a restaurant - no
it isn't. But I chose the CNN report for the additional irony. There are better
hits on a Google search.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com