Re: [OM] IMG: Dried-in

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Dried-in
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 17:57:13 -0800
> What's the advantage of a double-bit?  Is it just more continuous time
> chopping before a sharpening break?
> Double bit, although a little lighter, and thus doing less work from sheer
> weight, seems more like a subtle, flexible, responsive tool, if those
> adjectives apply to such an instrument.
I worked for a big forestry company summers and more while going to
college. That was a time when you could actually pay for a year at a
private college working all summer. (Same school now is pushing $40k !!)
We packed a small 2-1/2 lb double bit cruiser. There were several
advantages. First of all it is very well balanced and comfortable to
swing all day long brushing out section lines. I generally kept it razor
sharp on both sides. One side generally was used for falling and cutting
higher stuff. The other was for lower stuff where there was a risk of
hitting the ground. I got pretty expert so that wasn't much of an
issue.  We packed a flat bastard and a 2-sided wet stone and it was easy
to stick the axe in a log and sharpen one side then flip and do the
other. I see that it's getting hard to find a good cruiser. Maybe not
OSHA approved. :) example:

http://www.nobleamericantools.com/images/513.jpg