Re: [OM] [OT} turning into Moose? not not that way PS skills

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT} turning into Moose? not not that way PS skills
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:47:10 -0800
> My old '73 Superbeetle was in some respects the finest mountain vehicle
> possible...
With one fatal flaw. The twin tail pipes stuck out too far. One would
rip out the tail pipes and muffler when going through a deep dip in
mountain roads like a creek wash. If the road was wide enough to creep
through at a diagonal it might be possible. What was needed was a
cut-away in the stern like on third world buses. Many a beetle created
this cut-away by default. :(

One of my first vehicles was a '59 beetle. Needed a rebuild at 30k and a
new engine at 60k like clockwork but exactly when was the question. You
just carried a tool kit and did a rebuild along the roadside as
necessary. 36hp and gutless. Always ran like mierda but always ran. I
drove it home one time after it threw #3 rod through the case. Luckily
the top so _all_ the oil didn't blow. Saved that rod as a souvenir.
Around here somewhere. The heater ran off a leaky heat exchanger on the
engine shroud so any heat produced was offset by the fact that you had
to leave a window cracked to avoid asphyxiating oneself. The wipers were
so anemic that in really bad weather we tied the tips together with a
string fed in through the windows so the passenger could pull them bad
and forth.

No Nostalgia Mike