Re: [OM] IMG: Baalbek and Roman Ruins

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Baalbek and Roman Ruins
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 03:18:21 +1300

Chuck wrote;

Eh? Why so? I think my digital images are pretty
permanent.

Chuck Norcutt

On 2/16/2014 11:16 AM, John Hudson
wrote:
The original K25 slides are as good today in 2014 as they were in
July 1971
immediately after processing. Gone are the days of such image
permanency.

jh

////////////////////////////////////////

Simple to
answer.

For example; one of my sisters-in-law was taken by cancer
about 9 years ago. One of her sons (currently living and working in
Uruguay) asked me about family photos and I told him about hat-boxes of
photos I had seen before she passed away, and I had planned to
re-photograph some of her prints for family - but never did. Yesterday I
spent time with his father my brother and the photos are still in those
boxes and available to be seen any time.

If those same photos were on
a computer hard drive the chances are very high that it wouldn't work
any more/that nobody would think of looking in it for anything/that it
would have been scrapped ages ago without a moment's thought by anybody
that it was worth hanging on to for any reason.

I have the same
dilemma to face. I therefore don't mind too much that I have a cabinet
of slides and boxes of large prints. Even now I have my previous
computer (W'95) with valued information on it and am unsure how to
migrate it to a current machine.

Brian Swale.