Re: [OM] IMG: Baalbek and Roman Ruins

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Baalbek and Roman Ruins
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 14:56:40 -0400
I went to the Lebanon and Syria in late June 1971 and have a few shots of my
trip here:

http://www.redrobinphoto.com/MiddleEast [all K25 slides taken with an M3
with 35mm/f1.4 Summilux]

The trees are the Cedars of the Lebanon, a national symbol. The tall columns
seen left of centre in the mid distance of Tina's image are the remains of
the Temple of Jupiter at Baalbek. Superstition had it that if the ever
present flocks of crows left the site the entire vicinity would be doomed.
The 8th to 5th images at the end are of the "......the Umayyad Mosque, also
known as the Great Mosque of Damascus, located in the old city of Damascus,
is one of the largest and oldest mosques in the world. It is considered by
some Muslims to be the fourth-holiest place in Islam" [quote from Wikipedia]

The shade temperature at Baalbek was in the mid 30sC and the stone ground
work hot enough to fry an egg !

I suspect that Tina went to all of these places.

jh