[OM] Merrimack River Eagle Festival

Subject: [OM] Merrimack River Eagle Festival
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 23:02:49 -0500 (EST)
The Bald Eagles are out and about this time of year near the mouth of
the Merrimack. the Mass Audubon sponsors a yearly festival with birders
manning 5 spots where they are usually seen.
Advantages of going today are they report in every few minutes where
they are so one can head over to the highest yield spot and not have to
hang out and look for hours in 15 deg weather.  They were not very
close this year though.
Fewer Wimberley Sidekicks this year and more monopods with IS lenses
with long fast Canyon  glass for most part as usual it seems. I don't
make a habit of trying to capture BIF  and used my Tammy 400/4  with
1.4 TC.  Not so easy to focus
and follow.  Marnie looked through what I had in the cam when I
returned (too cold for her today) and said  I see " mostly fuzzy
wings".  She was correct.  :-(  Sometimes the elegant  adult Bald
Eagles  are just 20 yds away near the Chain bridge but almost always
when I don't have any cam.  Snowy owls were very common at the Parker
River Wildlife Refuge this year.

http://www.massaudubon.org/content/download/10737/169932/file/Eagle-festival-Map-2014.pdf

No birds of interest at Cashman Park so checked exposure:

http://www.olyendomike.com/Other/Massaudubon-Eagle-Fest-Feb/36908057_r5crTc#!i=3065599208&k=mpg7FTC&lb=1&s=L

One modestly sharp Juvenile :

http://www.olyendomike.com/Other/Massaudubon-Eagle-Fest-Feb/36908057_r5crTc#!i=3065600095&k=n5vvvBs&lb=1&s=L

Coupala ducks that move along leisurely.
http://www.olyendomike.com/Other/Massaudubon-Eagle-Fest-Feb/36908057_r5crTc#!i=3065600390&k=4tmzt4G&lb=1&s=L

http://www.olyendomike.com/Other/Massaudubon-Eagle-Fest-Feb/36908057_r5crTc#!i=3065604973&k=Mf9pC9s&lb=1&s=L

One juvenile Bald Eagle was pestering a duck:

http://www.olyendomike.com/Other/Massaudubon-Eagle-Fest-Feb/36908057_r5crTc#!i=3065600014&k=H3n6qF7&lb=1&s=L

Next week is the yearly NHOS  (New Hampshire Orchid society)  show.
Perhaps I'll do better--at least the orchids don';t move too fast.

Fuzzy Mike