[OM] Pins and Needles

Subject: [OM] Pins and Needles
From: "Bob Benson" <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 10:13:36 -0600
Thanks, all, for responding to my note.

Anyway,  as Bill Pearce kindly noted in a previous note,  the show went
pretty well.  The gallery space is terrific -overall  about 90 linear feet
of exhibit space.  Very large turnout (the gallery went through more than a
case of wine),  most of whom I didn't know.  I think the two innovations
went pretty well: first, organizing the images by color rather than content,
and second, the experimental method of printing  directly on foamboard using
a commercial printer.  Quite a few folks asked about media (e.g., oil?
acrylic?) which for me is a goal . to look like an oil painting . and
several remarked on the lack of glare or reflections,  also a goal.  The
size of the images worked (30x40 for the lead image in a group,  22x28 for
the rest.)  And, in fact, the premise that there is real beauty in Kansas
appeared to strike a chord.

The show is up for the month;  we have a closing reception at the end.  We
also have a speaking session next week where the artist addresses students
and faculty and interested folks about the art .. mostly Q/A though.  Quite
a nice set of activities.

As was suggested,  I've posted informal images from the show on Zone 10.
Comments are welcome.

http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=11120    This starts 8 images
showing the complete show.

Also, as I mentioned earlier,  I have a catalog showing all images;  I'm
happy to e-mail it to anyone interested.  Just e-mail me off line.

Bob Benson

PS: for those weighing in on the FF vs. MFT discussions,  all this was FT
and MFT.

(I should say that I'm not inexperienced in these things . I've been showing
continuously in two galleries downtown for six years now, and have sold more
than fifty images over that time.  But my uneasiness - pins and needles -
was more about raising the bar.  I've really wanted to substantially improve
what and how I show, with a tougher audience.  Friends and family always
love what one does, it's the strangers (who actually buy something) that are
wonderful,  and the comments from folks like you who really know what
they're doing.  I appreciate the comments y'all have made.)