Re: [OM] Pins and Needles

Subject: Re: [OM] Pins and Needles
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 21:57:34 -0800
On 1/31/2014 2:43 PM, DZDub wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Bob Benson <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> So a big part of the pins and needles:  how will this appeal to the
>> audience?
>>
> I expect that there will be many surprises.
>
> The thing you have control over -- creating art -- I suspect has less to do
> with your audience's reactions to it than you might hope or believe.
> That's also a good thing, lest you create only to someone else's taste.

One thing I've really learned by watching many people go through my books is
that there is no image that will
universally appeal to everyone - and so far, no image I liked enough to include
that won't appeal to at least someone.

I would add to what Joel says that it is, in fact, not possible to create to
match the tastes of a broad group. What I
think everyone will love will generally be popular, but not always, and never
appeal to everyone.

So not only is it artistically right to work to your own taste, it is in
practice the only possible thing.

> You are already backed into some sort of creative corner because of the
> subject-matter, the beauty of Kansas, of which some will be skeptical.

We haven't as yet made it to Kansas, but one thing I've learned in our
peregrinations in our little RV is that our
country is liberally scattered with astonishingly beautiful spots I've never
heard of. From the number of other people
at many, nobody much has heard of them.

I expect Kansas to have its share.

> But
> others will be curious, and in any case, as I said, all you can do is show
> your stuff.  If it says what you meant, be content with it.  You'll sneak
> up on quite a few, based on what I saw in your catalog.

I've finally been able to look at the catalog. I had nothing on my new computer
to view .docx files. Installed Open
Office, and it got the column widths quite wrong. Found a free on-line
converter to .doc and can look properly in
Word97, my ancient standby.

It looks like quite a lovely show. I'd be happy to spend some time viewing it
in person. I particularly liked the
juxtaposition of shapes in “Flint Hills Green” and “Welcome Flood”, and to a
lesser extent, “Sentinel”.

It seems to me to say a lot about what Kansas is, and in a way what it isn't,
and shouldn't be expected to be.

> And best wishes for good surprises

YES!

Geographical Dreamin' Moose