Re: [OM] IMG: Crossroads

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Crossroads
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 15:04:53 -0600
> I spent 3 months of my apprenticeship helping to install an elctronic
> exchange in a small village. I can't remember how many wires I soldered
> but it was a lot ;-). I also spen a while helping to look after a
> crossbar exchange before setting into the Telex and Datel group, anyone
> remember the first modems? definitely not portable with separate cards
> for sending an receiving 300 Baud one way and 75 Baud the other.   At
> that time I would never have imagined that I would be working in another
> country doing something quite different although still technical.

And now the current technology we're implementing is scaled at 96
channels of 100Gb over a single pair of fiber.

Shall we do the math? (Using North American TDM standards):

One voice grade telephone call is equivalent to a DS0
24 DS0 in a DS1
28 DS1 in a DS3
192 DS3 in a OC-192
10 OC-192 in a 100Gb
96 100Gb in a DWDM/ROADM equipped fiber pair.

123,863,040 simultanious DS0s on a single fiber pair.
The typical 10 year old inter-city fiber route 96 fiber (48 pairs),
but we generally top out around 768 if it is to go in a conduit. So,
one sheath of fiber is capable of holding 384 of these above mentioned
systems.

I'll round it down. 47.5 Billion simultaneous DS0s. Or 12 NetFlix
downloads or three Moose/Schnozz emails.

AG