Re: [OM] IMG: Crossroads

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Crossroads
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 15:19:06 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I wonder if that's the same as the strowger switch we had in the UK - up
>then rotate. I worked on both the phone and the telex version, telex
>used +80v and -80v for signalling and 160v combined  gave quite a shock
>if you weren't careful when jumpering.

     Quite likely, the last gasp in electro-mechanical telecom switching.  Ten
wafers each with ten sets of contacts and an open slot.  It handled two digits.
 The first digit advanced the rotor to the proper wafer, then the second digit
rotated the shaft.  Took the place of eleven single-wafer rotary switches.
<BRRRR> <CLICK CLICK CLICK...>

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson