Re: [OM] New Yorker article--Goodbye, Cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] New Yorker article--Goodbye, Cameras
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 08:56:15 -0500
Basically, what Moose said.  Small, light and also gives me much more
telephoto than I've ever had with digital.  Right now I'm visiting with
friends in Orlando.  I brought the E-M5 and a single lens... my
walkaround favorite, the 14-150.  That gives me 300mm equivalent,
something I could only have on the 5D by adding my 1.5X converter to the
Tokina 80-200/2.8 which is 10 feet long and 200 lbs.  Unknown to me
until I got here, there was an Atlas-V launch from Cape Canaveral last
night.  Although about 50 miles away I got some sort of handheld image
(through the porch screen) at 150mm, f/6.3 and ISO 1600.  I couldn't
have gotten it with the 5D simply because I'd never have carried it with
the very good but blunderbuss-like lens.

I still have the 5D and use it from time to time if I want shallow depth
of field or, more likely, if I need to move quickly.  Operating the 5D
is like second nature.  Operating the E-M5 is nowhere as familiar and
also has some (to me) undesirable button locations.  But I will never
return to the 5D as my everyday shooter.  It's just too damn big and heavy.

Chuck Norcutt