Re: [OM] Mirrorless doomed?

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirrorless doomed?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 20:16:34 -0800
On 1/2/2014 8:50 PM, Bill Pearce wrote:
> I'm with Chuck. My idea of communicating photos is to print and give to
> someone.

Mine seems to have gone in two directions, web galleries and books.

It wasn't an option not long ago, but is quite attractive now, to make a really
quality book of one's images. I've
started the process of finding a theme and thinking about images for my third.

The paper and reproduction quality of the better on-line services is better
than many rather famous books of major
photographers' images. (And I can fill the whole page with an image, rather
than filling the central 1/3 with a small
image, surrounded by a vast white space.)

It's quite a different experience for the viewer/recipient from web image or
single prints. Prints on a wall are there
all the time, but distant. Flipping through a book is far more immediate. It
engages the body and senses other than
sight in the experience. The weight of the book in hand and feel of the paper
become a factors, perhaps even the smell
of paper and ink!

Presenting a group of images connected to each other also has different in
quality.

OTOH, the quality is good enough that I've thought about printing a bunch of
images by making a book, buying two copies
and cutting the images out of the book. The price per print is very attractive.

Bookish Moose