Re: [OM] Too close to home

Subject: Re: [OM] Too close to home
From: <r.burnette@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 16:34:46 -0500
Cc: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Moral philosophy = the study of human conduct and values (Merriam-Webster
dictionary)

Mike, why are sanctity of life values limited to a  religious tradition or
conviction? Is not respect for life a common philosophical issue? A survival
issue? Not all human values have a religious base. But in our nation this had
been the traditional values base until around the 1960's. Law and religion
brought order, moral values, and expectations which shaped our nation and
"tamed" the anarchic Old West. Since the 1960's we have seen our society become
more profane, more narcissistic, more greedy. Our moral base has eroded. As an
80 year old, I have watched this creeping "decay" with deep sorrow.

Personal and group morals are critical elements of social order. Morals shape
our lives and guide our behaviors. Don't we classify amoral people as
sociopaths?

My abortion point was that we tend to pick and choose when it comes to which
killings are, or are not, acceptable to us and to the society at large. If
abortion on demand is not an example of moral decay in our society, then what
is it? Over 53,000,000 deaths! I wonder if China, with their one child policy,
comes close to that number. And we are supposed to be a civilized country?

I firmly believe that the entire gun control issue is a diversion to distract
the populace from more important issues.

---- Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > it is a "woman's choice" whether to kill or not kill a living human being
> Second time this has been brought up as an example of "moral decay". The
> morals thing is a religious conviction. To each their own. Just don't
> inflict it on me. Besides, it isn't germaine to the gun issue.

Isn't germaine? Supposedly, concern for needlessly and wantonly taking another
person's life is at the heart of the gun control issue.

"To each their own" taken literally and universally suggests a world without
common agreements, laws, or prohibitions. No civilization can survive that way.
Respect for life and others is necessary for societal health and safety.

Don't "inflict" one's opinion on someone else. (That is exactly my point
concerning the gun control issue.)

But people have to take a stand on some things or surrender to those who are
willing to push their own agenda. (Recall the Third Reich, Cambodia, the
Chinese, French, and Russian revolutions.) As the old adage says, "The squeaky
wheel gets the grease." Moral decay occurs when those who have more positive
values stay silent and inactive while those with lesser values speak out and
act. Which are the more positive values? Those which enhance a society and make
it a better and safer place to live, embrace freedom, raise families, and enjoy
a more productive life.

> > Which is why this whole discussion is utterly pointless.

I thought I cited a few points.  ;o)

> And I do agree with some of your other points.

Thanks.

Robert