Re: [OM] IMG: From Long Ago

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From Long Ago
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 19:32:49 -0600
Thanks for looking, Chuck.  I finally recalled the name of the small
firm that designed and built the nozzle control system.  It was
Hanson-Gorrill-Brian, Inc., of Glen Cove, NY.  A google search turns up
some patents that they received in the early 50s.  It just proves that
people with technical smarts and ingenuity can provide products that may
just outlive the company that made them!

My first exposure to anything beyond data reduction computers was a
PDP-8 that was provided as a part of a fuel control system for a jet
engine test.  After the original test was completed, a few of our
engineers figured out other uses for the computer.  Coupled with small
black and white monitors, it provided a real-time Mach number display,
from pressure measurements and a non-linear equation.  We eventually
added a temperature measurement and calculated Reynolds Number as well.
For the first time, operators could actually see the parameters they
were trying to hold constant, rather than refer to tables.  More
automation followed.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA