Re: [OM] Too close to home

Subject: Re: [OM] Too close to home
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 19:01:43 +0000
That’s interesting, Tina.  Thanks.

However, it really irritates me that “infringe” is increasingly used with a
preposition, such as “infringe on rights”.  It’s a transitive verb which
requires a direct object so it should be “infringe rights”.  The Guardian
should know better.

Back to the original point, though: I wonder if larger countries, such as the
USA, are bound to have more guns owing to the relative sparseness of policing.
And perhaps there is a correlation between this sparseness and the prevalence
of gun crime.

Chris