Re: [OM] Cai is innocent! and maybe why photographers are forgetfull

Subject: Re: [OM] Cai is innocent! and maybe why photographers are forgetfull
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:34:15 -0800
On 12/10/2013 2:33 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> We've had two similar mysteries in the past month.  However, this
> household has no little ones to blame... only worsening memory senior
> citizens.

I recently read about a memory experiment. Conducted by a University Prof., so
using young people as subjects. The
subjects were given standard short term memory tests, such as looking at a
number of objects in a box for a short time,
then a little later, listing what they had seen.

The only difference this time is that one group listed the items seen while in
the same room where they had seen them.
The other group went into another room to make their lists. Short term memory
was significantly poorer in this second group.

The investigator's theory was that it might be evolutionary, that there was a
long time in our development when
forgetting what had been going on where one had been, in favor of giving full
attention to where one was, was as
survival factor. In any case, the results were clear, even quite young people
forgot things when they went in the next room.

His advice? "Take the light bulb with you when you go to get a new one, and
don't worry about it." :-)

> We eventually found the missing things and, of course, always
> exactly where we put them... sometimes in fairly plain sight. :-)

I learned a lot of things watching Sesame Street with my kids. One of the most
useful was "Walking backwards through my
mind." They had a couple of quite nicely done animated segments about using
this technique to remember where things were.

This has helped my innumerable times, often combined with Sherlock Holmes
admonition: “When you have eliminated the
impossible whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever
remains, however improbable, must be the
truth
Read more at
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/arthurcona101815.html#mr72ar0mK9tHJYi1.99
It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever
remains, however improbable, must be the
truth. <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/arthurcona101815.html>
Read more at
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/improbable.html#vFxEdKU0CJUgf2Cw.99
It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever
remains, however improbable, must be the
truth.
Read more at
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/arthurcona101815.html#mr72ar0mK9tHJYi1.99
It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever
remains, however improbable, must be the
truth
Read more at
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/arthurcona101815.html#mr72ar0mK9tHJYi1.99
It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever
remains, however improbable, must be the
truth. <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/arthurcona101815.html>
Read more at
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/improbable.html#vFxEdKU0CJUgf2Cw.99

Memory Maxim Moose