Re: [OM] Canvas & Metal Prints

Subject: Re: [OM] Canvas & Metal Prints
From: "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:14:12 -0600
Bob,

Thanks.

Bill Pearce

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Whitmire
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 7:31 AM
To: Olympus Camera Discussion

The way they put it is that the ink is "infused" into the aluminum. It's not
a paper print adhered to the metal. The image is on the metal itself. Very
striking. The right image printed on glossy metal and well lit almost looks
like a high-definition monitor showing a backlit image. You can send Bay
Photo a file and they will send you 4x6 or 5x7 test prints on all four
surfaces. Very reasonable cost, too. Around $10, as I recall.

I've used two sources, Bay Photo in California, and Adoramapix in New York.
There are differences. Both give you a good product, but I've come to use
Bay more and more for a couple of reasons. One, their RIP is superior. Bay
wants a 300 dpi jpeg or tiff, neither embiggened nor enlittled (Down,
Chris!). <g> Either Adobe 1998 or sRGB is fine. You match the file to a
template in their ROES software (which is kinda clunky, but they all are).
Adorama, on the other hand, wants the file you send them to be jpeg, sRGB,
and sized to the final result. You need to have excellent rerezzing skills
to get a good result if you go big.

I did one 20x30 aluminum print for a customer. The first one I ordered from
Adorama and did the uprezzing myself. It sucked big-time. Partly my fault,
partly theirs. Could not pass it on to the customer. When I told them, they
were willing to do another print, but wouldn't do a refund. So I sent the
original file as a tiff in Adobe color space to Bay Photo and the result was
spectacular.

Another advantage to metal is that it can be cleaned with Windex. I wouldn't
do it, but they say you can. That said, the shop called one day to say a
customer had discovered scratches on one of my aluminum prints. I went down
to check it out and found a number of fine scratches on the surface. They
weren't there when I hung the print, so my guess is a determined customer
did it with his or her fingernails, on purpose and deliberately. <g>

At first I thought the print might be a damage write off, but i took it home
and put some motorcycle polish to it, and voila! Scratches gone.

The other advantage to Bay is they have a few frame styles, and for a pretty
hefty but not unreasonable chunk of cash they will send you the print
already framed. With gallery-wrap canvas or metal, you don't necessarily
need or want a frame, but if you do, the option is there, and the quality is
good.

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal