Re: [OM] Great deal on SDHC cards

Subject: Re: [OM] Great deal on SDHC cards
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 12:52:07 -0600
On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12/3/2013 11:12 AM, Paul Braun wrote:
> > I got my daily email from Rakuten.com (used to be Buy.com) and today
> > includes an 8GB SanDisk Ultra II SDHC card for $7.49 with free shipping
> (at
> > least it was free shipping for me).
> >
> > Have at 'em:
> >
> http://click.newsletter.rakuten.com/?qs=c5981088fe9cb4af4a9dc0bbd70dfaae88a5c4ef3ca9e57373a1841adb2bc76d51be28ca318fc057
>
> Not such a great deal. Class 4 cards are cheap now, probably old stock
> being cleared out. Would noticeably slow down
> write speed and thus shot to shot times for the E-M5.
>
> Fine for capacity for an older P&S, maybe for older E-thingies. The E-M5
> and later deserve at least a class 10 and will
> take advantage of UHS-1, a new, faster protocol.

What constitutes an "E-thingie" these days?  Does it include any MFT
bodies?  Of the E-system bodies, the E-5 for sure has an SD slot.  Maybe
the E-30 (I ain't looking it up)?

This touches a nerve in my funny bone.  I had received a E-5 body from KEH
some weeks ago to replace the E-3 in my stable.  I had been used to keeping
both a CF and xD card, as backup, in the E-3 to prevent dire frustration
should I walk away, leaving the CF card in the reader in my office.  Try as
I might, I could not get that xD card in the E-5's slot.  I was so
desperate I actually RTFM.  Once I'd learned the folly of my ways, I got a
PNY 64 GB SDXC card and set 'er up for RAW + LF jpg.  I'll use the CF card
for backup in the future.

Joel (square pegs in squarish holes) W.