Re: [OM] Great deal on SDHC cards

Subject: Re: [OM] Great deal on SDHC cards
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 13:26:40 -0800
On 12/3/2013 12:50 PM, Paul Braun wrote:

> ... Well, poop.  Didn't know that.  Oh, well.  I have two on the way - for
> right now, it gets me a bunch of capacity for small money.  I can work on
> speedy later.

Sony xxGB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 R40 cards are quite inexpensive.
<http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Class-Memory-SF32UY-TQMN/dp/B00B7ID99I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386104216&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+uhs-1+memory+card>

16GB for $9.47 with free two day shipping is actually cheaper that their 8GB.
32GB for $19.95 and 64GB for $38.34.

A little primer: The '10' in the 'C' means class 10, "Speed classes 2, 4, and 6
assert that the card supports the
respective number of megabytes per second as a minimum sustained write speed
for a card in a fragmented state. Class 10
asserts that the card supports 10 MB/s <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MB/s> as a
minimum non-fragmented sequential write
speed." (If you follow Chuck's rule, your card will never be fragmented.)

The '1' in the 'U' specifies UHS-1. UHS is a newer data transfer protocol,
which requires UHS support on the camera end,
too (like the E-M5). (The cards will work without that, as Class 10.) UHS-1 can
theoretically support up to 50 MB/s,
though I doubt many implementations are near that fast.

The 40 MB/s refers to READ speed only, and has no impact on camera operation.
The makers seem to be in a small marketing
war over read speeds, probably because they can't make the write speeds faster
without cameras with faster UHS. So Sony
sells the same cards, but with 94 MB/s read speeds for about twice as much,
comparable to what other makers are charging
for similar cards. Unless you have a really fast, USB3 card reader there's no
practical difference. (I have a 32 GB, 94
MB/s Sony I got from B&H in a really special deal; no faster on my readers.)

These Sony 40 MB/s cards are the current great deal in SD cards.* I got tired
of keeping track of cards on long trips. A
couple of 64 GB cards saw me through our month in New England with the two
cameras.

One needs to be careful with Rakuten, and all its ilk. Some great deals, and
some not so great. I do buy from them, but
check other sources first. Not uncommonly, the same item is sold for the same
price or less everyday by others. If you
can cancel that order, you really should.

U. H. S. Moose

* If anyone has or buys these Sony cards, and wants to download the free data
recovery software, drop me a line. There
is (or was) a trick.