Re: [OM] Another Visit to Round Pond

Subject: Re: [OM] Another Visit to Round Pond
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 19:45:44 -0800
On 11/23/2013 11:02 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
> Thanks, Moose.  I can picture a holiday in the area; but I had better start
> saving . . .

I personally think Sept. is the ideal time to visit. Vestiges of summer in the
weather, but the kids are back in school,
the tourist load is way down, the black flies and green heads are gone and
mosquitoes largely gone. Leaf peepers come
later, but planning ahead for a short visit, the odds of hitting the peak are
low.

This year, as we shuttled up and down, we saw color work up to peak and then
fall off in a couple of areas. Every year
is different.

On 11/24/2013 7:32 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
> That’s interesting, John.  But the preceding photo puts me off the area
> somewhat.  The house looks a bit on the twee side.

Hard to make up your mind? John's and my pics were taken on the same peninsula,
where Bob lives. Two or three of John's
gallery images are just a stone's throw from mine.

The big house is the light keeper's house, and pretty much standard design for
an 1857 coastal Maine house. I doubt if
it is twee inside as most of it is still the keeper's house, and not open to
the public. The point and light house
themselves are the location of many of Bob's great shots.

The nearby gift shops might meet anyone's need for twee. The lighthouse and
point itself are beautiful.

I don't recall seeing the little "Crabapple Creek" outhouse, although I've been
up and down that road several times.
Looks like it may be on a dirt road off the main highway?

Maine Wanderer Moose