Re: [OM] IMG: From a Trip to My Independent Volvo Mechanic

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From a Trip to My Independent Volvo Mechanic
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 23:46:27 -0500
On 13-Nov-21, at 11:22 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In reality, they could consolidate everything down to a single
> computer, but that defeats the modular design and cost management.
> Imbedding a low-cost single-purpose microprocessor in 200 things is
> less expensive than trying to get one mega computer to work covering
> everything. Besides, "Blue Screen of Death" takes on new meaning when
> the computer running your brakes locks up and reboots.

The current design of commercial microprocessors doesn't really allow you to do
that, there's way too much indeterminism in them to let you consolidate
everything onto a handful of CPUs.  The hard real-time parts like the engine,
drivetrain, ABS, etc. have tolerances that just don't work well together.  Of
course the less sensitive parts like the navigation, back up camera,
entertainment, etc. are being consolidated to save on costs.

-mark