Re: [OM] IMG: From a Trip to My Independent Volvo Mechanic

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From a Trip to My Independent Volvo Mechanic
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 02:02:15 +1300
John Duggan wrote
>*>
>*> Yes , they happily? paid up but I am beginning to wonder about the
>*> complexity of the electronics on a passenger cell which is about 4'
>*> square!! I feel it is over the top. Bear in mind that I could strip,
>*> clean, and re-assemble the twin carb set up on a MG ZB Magnette in about
>*> 45 minutes sitting on a pavement in the rain!! And tune it in another 30
>*> minutes. ?Modern cars are fine for first owner but become increasingly
>*> problematic as they age.

>*> The problems seem to be sensors / electronics NOT mechanicals.

Indeed. The Range Rover magician who seems to have solved the EAS problems in
my RR (
still to be tested - another story relating road legality) told me that the
latest RRs (eg the
Evoque) being made under Indian guidance have some thing like 168 computers of
various
sizes on board, all talking to one another. He has high praise for the quality
of the work
assembling these new cars.

All in the name of reducing emissions according to EU standards.

Brian Swale

---
is active.