Re: [OM] IMG: From a Trip to My Independent Volvo Mechanic

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From a Trip to My Independent Volvo Mechanic
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 17:56:19 -0600
Chris,

I don't recall ever using oil for more than 5000 miles.  I just wouldn't
feel comfortable with it.  I only had trouble one time, if I recall
correctly.  That was in a 1956 Plymouth V-8, where the dealer-supplied
oil got dirty and the engine failed.  This was over 50 years ago, so I
don't recall the specifics except that it left my young family stranded
in rural north Alabama.

As to the water in Avgas, yes, it separates, and most can be drained
during pre-flight.  However, the "gotcha" comes if some residual water
gets moved around in the tank during maneuvers and freezes in a fuel
line while at altitude.  Things can get awfully quiet.:-(

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA