Re: [OM] Mea Maxima Culpa and PIE, was: Pervasive Windows file system bu

Subject: Re: [OM] Mea Maxima Culpa and PIE, was: Pervasive Windows file system bug and E-M5 date/time failure
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 18:11:28 -0500

On 11/4/2013 3:45 PM, Moose wrote:
> You have misunderstood the coding.
>
> First character is always an underscore character if it's aRGB.
 > For sRGB, it defaults to 'P', but may be set to other characters
 > in Menu H=>Edit Filename
>
> Second character is, by default, month, as you have described.*
 > Or it may be set to what you like.
>
> Third and fourth characters are, by default, day of the month.
 > Or each may be set to what you like.

You're correct.  I didn't recall that the "P" was modifiable whereas the
"_" is not.  But that points out another thing I don't like which is a
fixed character to describe a file characteristic that I may not use.
Perhaps I should but I have never shot in aRGB.

 > I have to say I rather like the system. It gives some flexibility for
 > the user. With the defaults, if a file gets misplaced in the file > >
 > system, a glance tells me what day it was made.
 >
 > However, now that the image count has recently gone over 9999, I'm
 > thinking about changing 3-4 to '01' and renaming
 > those already taken.

I neglected to mention that I changed my own defaults to PEM5 and _EM5
but thought better of it later when the 5 was joined up with the digits
of the file name.  It  made it appear that the file number was much
larger.  So I changed the defaults to POMD and _OMD.

Perhaps it's time for the manufacturers to increase the image numbers to
5 digits and recognize the much lower image counts of film days are long
gone.  But you shoot much, much more than I do.  I'm only at 1352 images
on the E-M5 (after 10 months of shooting) and only about 14,000 on the
5D (after 7 years of shooting).

Chuck Norcutt