Re: [OM] IMGs: Restored 1974 Peugeot AO8 Road Bike

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: Restored 1974 Peugeot AO8 Road Bike
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <mark.marrlyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 17:42:29 -0700
Very nice bike, but I also like downtube shifters, and after I found out
for myself why they were called suicide brake levers oh so long ago, have
never even considered using them again :)

http://zuiko.dyndns.org/wordpress/?page_id=105

It's a little depressing to think of this bike as vintage, as I've had it
since new and assembled it myself. At least I can still tell myself that
when it needs work, I'm just fixing it and not restoring it. The frame was
custom made for me by Mike Appel, one of the original Trek employees who,
for a time, made his own frames. An outstanding craftsman, he didn't have
the best head for business. I think this frame cost the princely sum of
around $300 to $400, which even in 1990 was an extraordinarily good
bargain. Even Mike appeared to realize he was losing his shirt on this type
of frame, and mine is the last of the model. Many thousands of miles later,
this is still my primary bike. I'm on the third rear axle as well as the
third rear rim and I'm in nowhere near as good of shape as I used to be,
but I still love it.

Mark